What Were The Most Powerful Words Ever Spoken?
Do you know where the most powerful, life-changing words were spoken?
Do you know who spoke those words?
The most powerful words are from the last dying words from a person. They are remembered because they will never speak those words again.
This Easter as we reflect what Jesus did for us, we can witness in Jesus’ suffering and death on the cross his prayers for us. His last words are so telling of his undying love for us. Here are the dying last words of Jesus.
7 Powerful Words Jesus Spoke on the Cross:
1. “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34). It amazes me even as Jesus was ridiculed, persecuted, beaten and crucified he still prayed for those who were killing him. He even forgave one of the men on the cross who was sentenced with him. Even in Jesus death he prayed for us and still had the power to make people right with God and cared about their salvation.
2. “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43 NIV). These are the words Jesus said to one of the criminals sentenced with him after the criminal said, “Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Can you even imagine hanging on the cross suffering and Jesus says these words to you, promising you will be in paradise today and you will be with Jesus? This signifies this paradise is something that only Jesus brings not the world.
3. “Dear Woman, here is your son” Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother” (John 19:26-27 NIV). Jesus was saying this to his mother Mary, even in Jesus’ last hours of life he honored his mother by asking John, his disciple to take care of her.Could you even imagine being in Mary’s shoes watching her child suffer, hanging on the cross, knowing he was going to die?Click To Tweet
Jesus wanted to make sure his mother would be taken care of and entrusted his beloved disciple John to do this.
4. “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which means “My God, My God why have you forsaken Me?” (Matthew 27:46). This is the fourth saying Jesus says in both Aramaic and Hebrew, from the cross. Prior to this, Jesus had fallen silent for 3 hours after the darkness came. This is the first thing he said after the darkness left. In the 3 hours of darkness is where Jesus felt the wrath and separation from God for the first time.
This statement shows his vulnerability as a human and reveals his feeling of abandonment from God. I think this saying shows how heavy bearing the sins of all of mankind was and therefore cries out to God for help. This shows us we should cry out to God also when we too bear much suffering.
5. “I am thirsty” (John 19:28 NIV). This is so interesting how Jesus asks for water considering he taught his disciples and followers many times that he was the living water, that whoever drinks of the water will never thirst again and have eternal life (John 4:14). It is striking how the one who is the water of life is dying in thirst. I think this shows Jesus craving for his physical comfort to be refreshed with a drink of water.
Jesus not only desired for his physical thirst to be satisfied but his spiritual thirst as well. In scorn, the soldiers dipped a sponge filled with vinegar on the end of a hyssop plant to give Jesus a bitter taste in his mouth. You and I today can ‘give Jesus a drink’ by sharing what we have with those in need by feeding the hungry and giving water to the thirsty (Matthew 25:34-40). Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Vol. 1, p. 383). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
6. “It is finished” (John 19:30 NIV). This statement marks one of the last things Jesus says before he dies. It signifies he completed what he came to this earth to do, to die for our sins. He says the Greek word ‘tetelestai’ which means ‘paid in full.’ Jesus didn’t say ‘I am finished,’ he said ‘It is finished,’ meaning his redemptive work was complete. “It is finished,” is a declaration of Victory! Jesus became sin for us (2 Corinthians 5:21). He suffered the penalty we deserved. Even up to the moment of his death, Jesus remained the one who gave his life for us (John 10:11, 14,17-18). Blum, E. A. (1985). John. In J. F. Walvoord & R. B. Zuck (Eds.), The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures (Vol. 2, p. 340). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
7. “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46 NIV). This is the seventh and last statement Jesus says before he bowed his head and took his last breath. Jesus died for us. He offered his body and soul, not for himself, but for us. Jesus did not die as a martyr, but as a Victor, because he completed what he came to do. All of the suffering Jesus went through, his death was not for nothing.
“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit,” is actually a bedtime prayer used by Jewish children. It tells us how our Lord died: confidently, willingly and victoriously (John 10:17-18).
It is a prayer of commitment to God before taking his last breath. Those who know Jesus as their Saviour may also die with the same confidence and assurance, that Jesus did (2 Cor. 5:1–8; Phil. 1:20–23). Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Vol. 1, p. 276). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Wow! I can’t even believe all that Jesus was teaching us even in his suffering on the cross and very last hours of his life. It shows me how important prayer is in our lives. Praying is what Jesus was doing up until the last breath he took. He not only was showing us his love by enduring suffering and death in which we deserved, but praying on our behalf asking for our forgiveness.
He comforted the criminal who was suffering telling him about God’s promise of paradise. He honored his mother. He cried out to God for help. He showed his desire to have his thirst quenched both physically and spiritually. Jesus remained faithful even in his suffering. He showed us that God is always with us, he never leaves or forsakes us.
This Easter, we can partake and participate in the victory of Jesus as his gift to us.
What do Jesus’ last words mean to you?
What are the most powerful words you ever heard spoken?
We don’t have to be perfect to accept this gift, have it all together or be someone great. God’s gift of eternal life he offers to everyone, no matter who we are, who we were or who we will be. Opening and receiving God’s gift of eternal life, is the best gift anyone could ever receive this Easter.
I would love to hear from you! Leave your comments below. Have a blessed and Happy Easter!
Did you find this post to be encouraging and helpful? Please share with others who are in need of prayer. For more encouraging messages, Subscribe to my blog to receive a weekly message of hope right to your inbox or like my Author Facebook Page. to keep updated on posts.
I pray the God of hope will fill you with Peace as you Trust in Him! Have a Blessed week! I would love to hear from you! Leave Comments Below. Happy Easter!
Subscribe to Receive a Weekly Dose of Encouragement Right to Your Inbox
I also link-up and can be found on these sites:
These words just remind me that Jesus never lost fact of his mission on earth. His care and love for us was his focus until the end. He was not thinking about himself, but about others. So powerful. And it just reminds me to keep my focus on him. Not myself.
Yes! Even on the cross, Jesus prayed for us and told criminal, ‘I will see you in paradise.’ His mercy, love and grace never cease to amaze me. God is good.
The most powerful words I found myself saying was, “I forgive you.” Someone hurt me badly at one point, on a weekend, gave my life to Christ that same weekend. ANd I found myself saying those words to the person. Felt so relieved right after that and I knew I was free. Greatly appreciate this list though. SOmething to learn from Jesus, even when He’s close to His death.
Unforgiveness is such a HEAVY burden to carry. When we forgive just as Jesus forgave us we are set FREE. So glad God used forgiveness as a path set towards HIM. God’s words are powerful and everlasting. His words have the power to transform lives. Thank you!
I have noticed you don’t monetize heathergillis.com, don’t waste your
traffic, you can earn additional cash every month
with new monetization method. This is the best adsense alternative for
any type of website (they approve all websites), for more info
simply search in gooogle: murgrabia’s tools