Many of you may have seen or heard of the movie “Miracles from Heaven,” starring Jennifer Gardner. The movie is based off the true story of the Beam Family and book “Miracles of Heaven,” written by Christy Beam. It is a great movie to see together with your family and is in theaters now. I recommend bringing tissues, because it is a tear jerker!
I will be honest, the movie was hard for me to watch because there were a lot of similarities that happened in the movie that we experienced in our lives as well. The scene when the doctors explained to the parents there is no cure for their daughter’s disease, it is only a matter of time before your child dies, my husband and I know oh too well. It is hard and goes beyond understanding. It asks tough questions, how could God allow this to happen? How could a loving God allow a child to suffer? In these questions lies even deeper questions that I think is important to discuss with your family when hard times arise. Discussing these questions with each other helps us get to a better understanding of who God really is, his character and his role in our lives.
7 Questions to discuss after the movie-
1. Is God only good when your life is good? Is he only good until his next miracle? In the Bible when Jesus was traveling from town to town, he would occasionally perform miracles. He would heal the blind, the lame, the leper, even raise the dead. He fed 5,000 people one day with just 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. Each time Jesus performed the miracle the people wanted more. It asks a question, was Jesus only good until the next miracle he performed? Of course not, God is good all the time. No matter what our circumstances are we can trust that God is never evil, that he is good all the time.
2. When life gets difficult or in our suffering does that mean God doesn’t love us? Just because you may not like your circumstances or agree with them, does not mean God doesn’t love you. It means he has the bigger plan and can see the whole picture. You may not always see what God is up to, but you don’t have to. The only thing you need to know is God loves you no matter what. He hurts when you hurt and does not like to see you suffer. Please know whatever you are going through God will use it for something better and loves you beyond measure.
3. God gives us unconditional love should we practice conditional faith? Should we only put our faith in God when things are going good in our life? That is when we need the most faith! Should we only base our faith on things we see? No one said having faith was easy. If it were everyone would have it. When trials enter our life it is so hard to be faithful when we are placing our faith in our circumstances and what we see. God is a God of hope that never disappoints. God has the power to move mountains we only have to have faith the size of a mustard for him to move them. If God can conquer death he can conquer your circumstances, there is nothing he can’t handle. God doesn’t give us more than we can handle, it is we can’t handle it without God.
4. Does being a Christian guarantee you an easier life? What does being a Christian mean? If you are a Christian it doesn’t mean that you are guaranteed a life without trials or struggles. It doesn’t mean your guaranteed an easy road in life. Being a Christian means, you are continually, seeking a deeper relationship with God. It means that you have God to walk with you in your trials and he will never leave you if you believe in him.
5. When you suffer or bad things happen does that mean God is punishing you for your sin or mistakes? God is not a God that condemns or punishes. To suffer does not mean God does not care. It means we live in a broken world where there is disease, hate, evil and hurt. As Christians we are not exempt from these things. When suffering happens, we can rejoice because even in the face of injustice there is victory in Christ. No evil can ever change that or take that away from us. What evil intends for evil, God intends for good. God can take our suffering and turn it into something even more beautiful than it was before.
6. Should you put God in a box and give him a deadline when he should answer your prayers? God can do more than we could infinitely imagine. His power of what he is capable of doing is beyond our comprehension. When we give God a deadline, we are limiting his power of what he can do and placing our trust in what we see not in what God can do, putting him in a box. Giving God a deadline puts the trust in yourself, not God. We are not in control, God is. God’s timing is perfect he is able to do immeasurable more. Be patient wait for his timing. I promise you he has the best plans ever! His ways and plans are so much better than ours.
7. Should you stop praying if your prayers aren’t being answered the way you want them? Have you been praying for a miracle and God hasn’t answered you yet? Five years ago when our son passed away from a fatal kidney disease, we prayed for God to heal him. His disease may have taken away his short life on earth but it did not take away his life in heaven. Even though God didn’t answer our prayer the way we wanted he indeed answered our prayer, just in a different way. He indeed is healed and living in heaven where we will see him again one day. No matter what your situation is, never stop praying, God is listening. To stop praying is the worse thing you could do. It cuts your communication off with God, when that is the very thing you need to do! Prayer gives power to your situation and allows God’s power to intercede on your behalf. Don’t give up! God never gives up on us!
Whatever you are going through, keep the faith, keep praying and trust in God’s promises! No matter what God is a loving God who loves you! Just like the movies says, there are miracles all around us! Can you see the miracles God is doing in your life?
What am I missing? Would you add any questions to this list? I would love to know what questions you had from the movie? Please share below!
Did you find this post to be encouraging and helpful? Please share with others who are in need of prayer. For more encouraging messages, Subscribe to my blog to receive a weekly message of hope right to your inbox! I also post weekly on my Author Facebook Page. Join us for #13DaysofKindness starting April 7-20 where you can participate in doing acts of kindness visit www.bowenshope.com for more info!