How to Come Alongside Others who are Going through Hard Times
Have you ever wondered what you can do or say to someone who has just lost a loved one? In “Waiting for Heaven,” I have written what to to say and not to say to those who are grieving. What we say and don’t say can make a big difference in the lives of those who are going through hard times. Sometimes there are no words that can take away a person’s pain of their loss, but there is something you can always do.
You can always love.
Your Loving actions can have the most impact in the lives of those who are grieving. One of the biggest lessons our son taught us after he died, was to share the love we have in our hearts for him with others. When we do, it helps us come alongside others who have gone through the same thing just like God has done for us.
“He Comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us.” 2 Corinthians 1:4 MSG
How to Come Alongside Others who are Going through Hard Times:
1. Through Prayer– You can always Pray. Prayer is the most powerful thing you can do. Pray for their strength, their comfort, peace and hope. Pray with the one who is hurting or let them know you are praying for them. It helps encourage and let them know you are doing something.
2. Be Available– Being available to listen and be there for that person helps tremendously. It lets them know you are there for them during their tough time. It lets them know you care, that they have a friend to turn to.
3. Send a Card or Message- Sending a note or a text message with Kind words, words of encouragement, Bible verses or prayers is a great way to come alongside others who are hurting. A 10 second text message can make all the difference in a person’s day. It may be the encouraging message of hope one needs.
4. Make a Meal- Create a meal sign up for those who are going through hard times. Even though meals don’t take away the person’s pain, it does help lighten everyday burdens and allows them more time to deal with what they are going through. It lets them know you care and are thinking of them.
5. Give something from the heart– Nothing gives a person more hope than when something is given from your heart. Whether it be a smile, a hug or something you made, a small gesture of kindness makes a big impact in someone’s life. Below are some examples of what one can do. Give a message of encouragement. Give a message of hope. Give a picture of what heaven looks like. It doesn’t cost anything to give someone kindness, but can be the very thing that helps someone get through their day.
Join me on #Periscope! Learn on how to make a mustard seed vial and what gifts we can give to others who are going through hard times. When we give messages of hope, and encouragement we become living, breathing Bible verses. When we give kindness, we are letting others know the love of Jesus, the best gift anyone could give or receive. (To watch the REPLAY click here)
Have you gone through difficult times? What did someone do for you that helped you get through what you were going through?
What Has helped you get through Hard Times?
For More Helpful Ways How to Get Through What you are Going Through Click Here.
Be the difference in someone’s day. Do something kind for someone who is going through hard times. Have a Blessed week!
Prayer- Dear God, You know our struggles of what we are going through. I pray you will be with all those who are going through hard times. I pray they will allow your love to fill them with the strength, comfort, peace, joy and hope that they need to get them through what they are going through. I pray you will put the the right people in their lives to encourage them, lift them up and give them hope. May the God of hope bring you peace as you trust in him. Amen
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!