Kindness. It is something that touches our hearts and changes lives deeply. Kindness empowers others to be the difference and speaks volumes to those who receive it. When I think of kindness I think of some of the people in the Bible.
The 7 Kindest People in the Bible
7. Niccodemus and Joseph of Arimethea– These two men are known for preparing Jesus’s dead body for burial after he was crucified. These two men risked everything; losing their family, their religion, their status, their friends all to show their love for Jesus. Even though Jesus was crucified as a criminal they wanted to give him a burial of a king. Joseph even gave Jesus his own personal tomb! Their loving kindness was all apart of God’s plan.
6. Pharaoh’s Daughter (Exodus 2:5-10)- She is known for saving baby Moses from the river when he was laying in the reed basket. Even though she knew he was a Hebrew baby (which her father order to have killed) she still took him in as her own to raise and care for him.
5. Joseph (Genesis 37:12-36)- Joseph is known for being sold into slavery by his 11 brothers. In the time he was a away from home he had been falsely accused, thrown into prison, became an interpreter of dreams for Pharaoh and became in charge of Egypt. When famine hit the land where his brothers lived, they came to Egypt to buy grain. They did not know their brother was still alive and the governor of Egypt. To their surprise, Joseph was not angry at his brothers but showed them compassion when he saw them again. Instead of taking revenge, Joseph took them in and cared for them. Joseph knew it was all apart of God’s plan, what his brothers intended for harm, but God intended it for good.” (Genesis 50:20)
4. Boaz/Ruth- (Ruth 3 and 4) To truly understand the relationship between Ruth and Boaz you will have to read Ruth 3 and 4. Their relationship is so unique because Ruth showed kindness to Boaz in a way that truly touched his heart. In return, Boaz dedicated the rest of his life to her by making her his wife.
3. Lady who washed Jesus feet with her hair (Luke 7:36-50)- This woman who is not mentioned by name in the Bible, but by her actions showed Jesus one of the most compassionate acts of love by washing his feet with her tears and her hair and anointing his feet with expensive oil. Even though he was invited to dinner by the Pharisees, not one of them offered to wash Jesus feet or even a drink of water a common custom done for guests. The woman saw Jesus for who he was and poured out her love to him.
2. Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37)- The good Samaritan is known for stopping to help a man who was robbed, beaten and left for dead after a priest and a Levite saw him and passed him by. The good Samaritan saw him, took pity on him, cared for him by bandaging his wounds and paying for his stay at the inn so he could recover.
1. Jesus- There is no one is kinder than Jesus. When he walked upon this earth he showed us how to be kind to others in a way that goes beyond comprehension. He showed compassion on the lepers, the prostitutes, the lame, the forgotten. Jesus showed us there is no end to the kindness that can be given and should be given to everyone, everywhere at anytime. He showed the ultimate kindness by giving us the gift of eternal life by dying on the cross for our sins.
Just imagine if Nicodemus and Joseph never took the time to show lovingkindness to Jesus, we would never have known the true power of the resurrection.
Imagine if Pharaoh’s daughter never took in Moses to care for him, we would never know the power of God’s miracles and the ability to use the unlikely.
Imagine if Joseph took revenge upon his brothers instead of loving them, we would never know the power of compassionate forgiveness.
What if Ruth didn’t show kindness to Boaz? They would have never been married and Jesus would not have been part of the lineage to king David. (Ruth and Boaz are the descendants of Jesus).
If the sinful woman never came to wash and anoint Jesus’s feet, we would never have seen the power of forgiveness given through her faith.
Because of the Good Samaritan’s kindness, generations have been able to model him as an example of how to treat others.
If Jesus never showed kindness when he was here, we would never know the love that is given to us from God. We love because he loved us first.
I could go on and on about all the kind and loving things Jesus and the others in the Bible have done. We are called to Be Kind and Loving to one another. The love God gives us, is meant to be given and shared with others. How will anyone know the love of Jesus if it is not shared with them?
You are loved by a God who loves you! How has kindness affected your life? How or in what way?
Do you have a loved one you would like to honor by doing acts of kindness? Join us for our #13DaysofKindness. Go to www.bowenshope.com to download Free Printable Kindness cards to start spreading kindness to others! Kindness is contagious Pass it on! For the next month I am doing a series on Kindness. Please join me by subscribing to my Blog or liking my Author Facebook Page so you don’t miss out!
Everyone deserves kindness from their Savior! I would love to hear from you! Please share how Kindness has affected your life how and in what way?